Information? Contact a Physician
In men, the symptoms of aging are often the result of a growth hormone and testosterone decline. After age 20, a man's growth hormone falls about 14 percent every 10 years. By the time he reaches 40, he's lost almost half the growth hormones he had at 20 years old and by the time he reaches 80, men are left with just 5 percent of their original growth hormones. These imbalances can happen at any age. Fortunately there are male treatment options available.
Some of the most common hormonal imbalances in men include:
- Andropause. Also known as the male menopause, andropause occurs as men grow older and their testosterone levels decline.
- Adrenal fatigue. If your stress levels remain high for a prolonged period of time, your adrenal glands can't produce enough of the stress hormone cortisol.
- Hypothyroidism. When your thyroid gland is underactive, it's not producing enough thyroid hormones.
- Hyperthyroidism. An overactive thyroid gland results in high levels of thyroid hormones and an increased metabolism.
Signs and Symptoms of Male Hormone Imbalance
Many of the symptoms of male hormonal imbalances come on very gradually. You may not notice them at first, but as more symptoms appear and become worse over time, they do become apparent. These symptoms of male hormone imbalance are some of the most common:
- Erectile dysfunction
- Hair loss
- Low libido
- Fatigue or lack of energy
- Night sweats or hot flashes
- Memory loss
- Mood swings or irritability
- Heart palpitations
- Muscle loss or weakness
- Sleep apnea or insomnia
- Depression or anxiety
- Constipation or increased bowel movements
- Increased body fat
- Gynecomastia (development of breasts in men)
People often mistake the symptoms of imbalanced hormones in men with signs of aging. The good news is that these hormone losses and imbalances are easily correctable. And through proper treatment, these symptoms will often disappear and bring about a healthier, younger you. BodyLogicMD affiliated physicians can help balance your hormones safely and effectively using bioidentical hormone replacement therapy.